27 January 2014

Blog Challenge Day 13: Top Ten!

I love making lists!  Generally speaking I promptly forget or lose them, but I absolutely love writing them.

Today I am taking inspiration from Yvonne's Day 13 post.  However, I am not a fan of horror movies so instead my list will be simply composed of the ten movies that I love the most, regardless of era, off the top of my head and in no particular order (except for the first two, which are tied as my favourite movies EVER).


  1. Charade (1963, starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn)
  2. The Thin Man (1934, starring Myrna Loy and William Powell)
  3. The Maltese Falcon (1941, starring Humphrey Bogart and Mary Astor)
  4. The Women (1939, starring Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, Paulette Goddard, and Joan Fontaine)
  5. Bringing Up Baby (1938, starring Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant)
  6. Grand Hotel (1932, starring Greta Garbo, John Barrymore, and Joan Crawford)
  7. You Can't Take It With You (1938, starring Jean Arthur, James Stewart, and Lionel Barrymore)
  8. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1938, starring James Stewart and Jean Arthur)
  9. His Girl Friday (1940, starring Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell)
  10. The Big Sleep (1946, starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall)

There are many more, but it's quite obvious that I prefer movies from the 1930s-40s.  I find the writing, acting, and directing to be was superior to most modern film (although there are contemporary films that I have enjoyed).  I consider Frank Capra, Billy Wilder, and George Cuckor to be among the very best directors of the 20th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment