05 November 2012

Life Lessons From the Desert

#1 - When you have multiple dogs (and a yard that is devoid of grass or any plant life) a post-monsoon muddy yard (complete with muddy paw prints through out the house) are MUCH more preferable than the ever-present dust which seems to coat everything immediately after sweeping, mopping, dusting, and otherwise cleaning.  In summary: my yard is a dust bowl.  :(

#2 - If you have dry skin expect to use twice as much facial moisturizer and body lotion.

#3 - You might think that someone will seasonal plant-related allergies would find life in a desert less histamine inducing.  You would be very, very wrong.

#4 - The daytime high temperatures and the nighttime low temperatures can easily (and often are) be 40 degrees apart.  Shivering and bundled up in blankets with dogs as space heaters at midnight?  Check.  Tank tops, flip flops, and sweating after walking two blocks at midday?  Check.

#5 - Living in the city and seeing coyotes on a regular basis are not mutually exclusive.  Thankfully my dogs are larger than coyotes and seem pretty battle-ready if need be (although I sincerely hope that never happens).


4 comments:

  1. Where we live here in British Columbia is as close as any part of Canada comes to being a desert, and I can completely relate to points 2-5 for sure (and no doubt #1, too, if we had dogs). I love this climate though. I've lived in Vancouver and Ireland, which were both super damp, Toronto which was crazy humid, and Calgary which could get extremely cold (though the summers were beautiful, to be fair), and there isn't anywhere out of all those places that I'd rather be more than right here in the dry, warm Okanagan Valley.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree about the lovely, drier climates! Sometimes I do get sick of it being 90 degrees for what seems like endless months, but I grew up in Midwest (Michigan) which is extremely humid. I lived in Chicago for years with is both humid and has bitterly cold winters. Briefly I lived in the deep South (Alabama) and the humidity there was unbelievable... the air felt like soup, at times!

      Delete
  2. Coyotes?!?!? I would be crazy scared!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty acclimated to people (which is a shame, really) and thankfully my biggest male dog is about twice their size (with my other two being just a little bit bigger). Being hunting breeds, they're pretty fearless and tend to scare off the bigger wildlife on the rare times that they venture close to our yard.

      Delete