23 January 2012

Fresh Peppermint All-Natural All-Purpose Cleaner

I have a lot of hobbies and housework isn't one of them.  One of the things that helps me get into the mood to clean (other than watching episodes of "Hoarders") is a nice smelling cleaner whether it's almond hardwood floor polish or rose scented dish soap.

Making your own homemade cleaners is great for a number of reasons.  Here are mine:

  1. I'm broke frugal!
  2. I have dogs and don't want toxic chemical cleaners on surfaces they may lick.  (Don't ask...)
  3. I try to be conscious of the impact my lifestyle has on the world around me, even in little ways.
  4. I like things that smell good.
  5. If there is another reason, I've forgotten it.

You can make this easy, non-toxic, all-natural, blah-blah-blah cleaner in any scent you choose.  I made peppermint this time because:

  1. It opens my sinuses.
  2. I used bergamot last time.
  3. I made lemon-rose the time before that.
  4. I couldn't find my lavender essential oil.
  5. Gatsby doesn't like it (short explanation below).

The recipe is easier than pie (which comes naturally to me, but I hear is torturous for others).

  • 1 part plain ol' white vinegar
  • 1 part plain ol' filtered water
  • Several drops of essential oil (more or less depending on which you use, peppermint only needs a few because the fragrance is so strong, you will need more for subtler scents like bergamot)

I use an old Method brand spray bottle with duct tape wrapped around the label to obscure it.  Classy, I know.  That is why I didn't include a photo.  Someday I may make a pretty label for my all-purpose cleaner bottle... but let's face it, I probably won't.

Uses:

  • Kitchen and bathroom counters & surfaces.
  • Laminate cabinets & furniture.
  • Mirrors & windows.
  • Dogs who pee on their own legs (e.g. Gatsby)

(P.S. I love lists, don't you?)




No comments:

Post a Comment