- 5 8" whole wheat tortillas (I used Alejandro's, which are made here in Tucson.)
- 2 15 oz. cans of pinto beans, drained
- 1 cup salsa (I used Sunflower Market chipotle salsa.)
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans, drained
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced (original recipe called for 2... amateurs!)
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro, *chiffonade
- 1 roma tomato, diced (about 1/2 c.)
- 2 cups (1 package) of Daiya vegan pepperjack "cheese" style shreds
*chiffonade is the knife cut used most often for leafy greens. The easiest way is to ball up the leaves and then cut slices into that which results in nice ribbon-like strands.
- Preheat oven to 400 F/200 C
- Mash pinto beans with 3/4 c. salsa and minced garlic.
- In separate bowl, mash black beans with 1/4 c. salsa, diced tomato, and cilantro.
- Place the first tortilla in the bottom of a pie dish and top with about 3/4 c. of pinto bean mixture and 1/3 c. of "cheese."
- Top with a tortilla and then cover that with about 2/3 c. of black bean mixture and 1/3 c. of "cheese."
- Repeat steps 4 and 5, then top with the final tortilla using the remaining pinto bean mixture & cheese to cover.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Next time I will probably add more veggies to the layers. Caramelized onions, fresh spinach, canned pumpkin, sliced jalapenos, etc. would all be tasty additions!
One serving is about 1/6 of the pie and is around 375 calories and 11 grams of fat.