17 January 2012

The F Word


No, not that one.  The other one.  The one you can spell with a “ph” if you grew up someplace other than where I grew up.  Where I grew up, you spell it with an “f” and it generally applies to being physically expansive (as opposed to being verbally expansive, which is for all intents and purposes a thoroughly healthy pastime… that I know nothing at all about…).

FAT.

There, I said it!  Add a “c” 2/3 of the way in and you have a fact.  The fact is that I am 25 lbs. more challenging to the law of gravity than I was when I moved to Tucson, Arizona in June of 2010.

There are a lot of reasons for this.  While I almost never eat refined flours or sugars and my diet is almost entirely all natural/organic/not-processed I am consuming a lot more calories than I burn (mayo… I’m looking at you and your omega-3s).  Guess what else?  I make excuses!

Example:  “I spent the day at the pound with poor sick dogs and am covered in filth… so I deserve to eat a 1000 calorie custard filled pastry from the *panaderia on the way home!”

No, it doesn’t end there either.  I don’t walk my dogs as much as I should.  I know, I know… I’m a bad dog mama.  My bicycle has been repaired for about a month and I’ve only ridden it… three times?  Shameful, I know!

It’s a self perpetuating cycle of making excuses, feeling lazy, and then making excuses being I’m feeling lazy and don’t have the energy or motivation to: cook, walk the dogs as much as they (and I) require, ride my bike, not eat an entire baguette, etc.

The really frustrating point is that I know better.  I read books and watch documentaries about nutrition, the food industry, and related topics.  I haven’t had soda pop on a regular basis for over a decade (but have some much healthier and nifty alternatives that I will be sharing in good time).

Intellectually understanding a concept or idea is one thing… applying it to your life, on a daily basis is another (we’ll be coming back this theme a lot).  I have a few ideas for both implementing (actually re-implementing) more healthy changes in my lifestyle and holding myself accountable.  One big item is that I am going back to tracking everything I eat on MyFitnessPal.com.  Nothing smacks of personal accountability like the whole world knowing I had red velvet cupcakes for lunch!  (And by “whole world” I mean the 5 or so people who will actually read this.)  Not that I have ever done that, of course.  Just a random example to illustrate a point, folks!

Tonight for dinner I’m baking a tortilla pie.  It’s not as fattening as it sounds, I swear!! 

*Mexican bakery (for the white folks reading this blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment